How to choose the dog toothpaste? It is quite possible to brush a dog’s teeth to ensure oral hygiene. But for that, it is essential to buy toothpaste for dogs.
Choosing a good toothpaste will help you make sure your dog has a clean, healthy mouth. Which one to choose and how to use it? Answers now!
HOW TO CHOOSE THE DOG TOOTHPASTE?
Role of a dog toothpaste
If we forget it sometimes, cleaning the dog’s teeth is as essential to his hygiene as grooming!
Regularly brushing a dog’s teeth assures you of the excellent health of your mouth and teeth. Regular toothbrushing has many positive impacts:
- It eliminates plaque.
- It limits the appearance of tartar.
- It gives the dog a better breath.
- It limits the risk of infection of the gums.
- It saves you from having to pay for descaling, which is an expensive operation.
Good to know: it is advisable to brush a dog’s teeth 3 to 4 times a week, or every day if necessary.
Dog toothpaste: which one to choose?
The good news is that there are many products designed to heal dog oral hygiene. The key is to buy a quality toothpaste, specifically designed for the dog’s teeth.
Toothpaste designed specifically for dogs
It is essential to buy a veterinary toothpaste designed for dog use. And for a good reason, kinds of toothpaste designed for men are not suitable for animals:
- Dogs do not like their taste.
- Fluoride-based human toothpaste is dangerous for dogs.
- An unsuitable toothpaste can lead to food poisoning or digestive problems.
On the contrary, dog toothpaste designed to swallow, and its flavor will please your pet. It is, therefore, the ideal product to promote the brushing of the dog’s teeth.
Different types of canine toothpaste
There are various solutions adapted to the dog to limit the appearance of dental plaque and tartar:
- Toothpaste: a dog paste toothpaste (chicken or beef flavor) to applied by brush, like a traditional toothpaste.
- Dental powder: There are powdered products to mix with food, which have the same effect as a dog toothpaste, but without brushing.
- Liquid dental care: like powdered products, liquid toothpaste does not require brushing. Just place the product in the water bowl of the dog.
Good to know: There are dog treats recommended for the animal’s oral health. This chewable solution has some effect on dental plaque but remains much less effective than the different products presented here.
The choice of a dental care solution depends on your preferences, but also those of your dog.
The use of a toothbrush and dog toothpaste is useful, but dogs who are not used to their first weeks may not appreciate it. It can also be difficult to brush the teeth of a large dog.
If your pet does not tolerate brushing, opt for a liquid or powdered dental treatment.
What toothbrush for his dog?
If you choose dog toothpaste as an oral solution, do not neglect the choice of your toothbrush. Two types of models are available:
- The dog toothbrush: a veterinary toothbrush. It is sold with the dog’s toothpaste, or separately.
- The fingerstall: the fingerstall is a kind of rough “washcloth” to put on the end of a finger. It is a more practical solution for brushing a dog’s teeth but sometimes limited to larger dogs.
The simple mechanical movement performed by the toothbrush or fingerstall is enough to remove plaque. Even if you run out of dog toothpaste, do not hesitate to brush the animal’s teeth without any product. The action will still be useful.
Good to know: Failing to find a dog toothbrush, opt for a small soft toothbrush, which is not likely to damage the gum of the animal.
How to brush a dog’s teeth?
Brushing the dog’s teeth requires a lot of precautions. Ideally, start brushing your teeth when the dog is young.
Here are some tips for brushing teeth for a dog:
- Make a habit of handling the dog’s teeth, always with delicacy. Will allow him to accept brushing better.
- Start by introducing the dog to the taste of the dog toothpaste, to make him want.
- Brush each tooth up and down, gently. There is no point in forcing or going too fast. Take care not to touch the gum.
- Do not forget to clean the bottom teeth.
Price of a dog toothpaste
Canine toothpaste and other dental care solutions for dogs are available from the veterinarian, pet store, or specialized websites.
It takes between 5 and 10 $ for a pot of toothpaste for dogs. Other dental solutions can cost up to$ 20 per bowl.
These rates allow you to brush the dog’s teeth or maintain them for one month to a quarter, depending on your use.